[Tutor] Is Python the language for me?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Jan 15 19:27:22 CET 2007

Andy wrote:

> So as you can see I feel that each language has it's own pro's and
> con's and I might end up learning them both eventually.  Do you all
> think Python will work for what I want right now?

You don't say, but it sounds like you are just starting out with
programming. I strongly second what Luke said - Python is a great
language to start with, much easier than C++, and if you sometime decide
to learn C++ it will be much easier when you already know how to program.

>  My biggest concern
> with Python is the upkeep involved in trying to distribute your
> applications.  Do updates to Python usually cause issues?  Why would
> something like Pygame work with Python 2.4 but not 2.5?

Point upgrades such as 2.4 to 2.5 generally keep a high level of
backward compatibility for Python code, so a Python program that runs
under 2.4 will most likely run the same under 2.5. However, point
upgrades do not retain binary compatibility for compiled extensions such
as pygame; these extensions need to be rebuilt for the new version. On
Windows most Python programmers are not willing / interested / able to
compile the extensions themselves, so it is common for binary installers
to be distributed for Windows versions of extensions. When a new Python
comes out, these have to be updated. The pace of the updates varies
widely depending on how active the extension project is and how much the
developers care about Windows. For some users the availability of a key
extension is what gates the upgrade.

Kent