[Tutor] Picking Nits in "Learning to Program"

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 17 02:47:56 CET 2007

Carroll, Barry schreef:
> In "Learning to Program", look at "The Raw Materials", "Real
> Numbers".  The first sentence, "These are fractions" is technically
> incorrect, but incomplete.  While it's true that fractions (i.e.
> rational numbers) are real numbers, there are far more real numbers
> that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.  Hence the name
> "Irrational Numbers".  The square root of two is the prime example.
> (Sorry, can't do the math symbol in Plain Text.)
>
> You might say something like, "Fractions are examples of real
> numbers."

Notwithstanding my other mail, it might be better to use another term.
Alan, you already use the name 'floating point numbers' in that section;
I think it's a bit better to always refer to those numbers by that name,
and mention 'real numbers' as an alternative name. The opposite of the
current situation more or less actually.

Roel Schroeven