[Tutor] Python Editors .. which do you reccomend for a amateur?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 4 20:54:34 CEST 2007

"Tony Noyeaux" <tnoyeaux at msn.com> wrote

> I've been using Python IDLE,..
> tried DrPython,.. had a try of ActiveState Komodo IDE,
> Active Python,...

Of the basic editors I favour Pythonwin and AlaMode
The former comes with the windows extensions (standard in the
activepython distro)
and the latter with wxpython.

ALaMode is my current favourite because it has the wonderful
PyCrust shell and tabbed editing windows, features which neither
IDLE nor Pythonwin can support. And the editor is the fabulous
Scintilla widget used in several other IDEs, including Pythonwin.

I've played with PyDev on Eclipse and I lve the debugger but
the lack of a >>> prompt is a limitation and its a slow starter
and quite resource hungry.

However for serious programming I'm still using my original setup of
vim
and a couple of OS shell windows, one for running the program
and one for a >>> prompt. However I increasingly substitute PyCrust
nstead of the vanilla >>> prompt.

vim is just too powerful an editor compared to even scintilla that I
can't
live without the features for long (multi hour) sessions.

PS There must be a FAQ page on this somewhere? It gets
asked so often...

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld