[Tutor] Paramstyle/sql injection [was Python CGI Script]

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Thu Sep 21 02:09:19 CEST 2006

* Danny Yoo <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> [060920 10:41]:
> >        query1 = """SELECT ABC FROM %s limit %s,%s"""\
> >                      % (self.tableid,self.rangeid1,self.rangeid2)
>
> Just as a note: please don't do this!  *grin*
>
> Don't build query strings up like this: this is very prone to an SQL
> injection attack.  See:
>
>      http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2003-April/022010.html

I'm glad you brought this up:
 Was talking to my partner about this. He's a perl programmer, and he
 told me that (if I understood him correctly) that the programmer
 is required by perl to use the 'prepare' function in the perl DBI prior
 to sending a select statement.
 If not done (again, if I understood him correctly) an exception is
 thrown.

 Is this correct?

  Now I'm off to writting a little 'script nanny' to check my python
  files for usage of Paramstyle.

 thanks
 tim

Tim Johnson <tim at johnsons-web.com>