[Tutor] Python Linux Distro Anyone

Python python at venix.com
Wed Nov 29 17:21:26 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 22:45 -0500, Amadeo Bellotti wrote:
> I was thinking it would be really nice if i could make a Pocket Linux
> distro that of course fits on one or two floppies (outdated I no but
> still are amazing) thats just the Linux kernel, bash, and python. with
> of course a lot of tiny scripts to do daily business and/or recovery.

You might want to look at puppyOS.
http://www.puppyos.net/
It is designed to boot from USB memory and provides a small footprint
OS.

http://www.puppyos.net/pfs/
Describes how to build puppy from scratch (pfs) which would allow you to
build your own tiny version.

>  We could have a mail client, a text reader/editor, text based web
> browser, all in python. Of Course this will be a lot of work and it
> would be neat if the whole user group pitched in. so what I'm
> basically asking is that if you are interested email me and ill give
> you some detail.

Shooting for a floppy disk based distribution is too much pain with too
little gain for me.  The puppy approach of a bootable OS that you can
carry in your pocket is pretty slick.  I'm using a 1 GB USB flash which
is, for me, reasonably low cost and far better than carrying floppy
disks.

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp