[Tutor] numpy and python

linda.s samrobertsmith at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 23:45:10 CET 2006

On 11/6/06, Danny Yoo <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, linda.s wrote:
>
> > I use Python 2.4 IDLE to open a py code which import numeric.
> > I have installed both scipy and numpy into my c:\python24. However, it
> > was still reported as:
>
> Hi Linda,
>
> We need more details.  What version of scipy and numpy did you install?
> Where did you get them them from?  This detail matters particularly for
> numpy, which has several different incarnations (Numeric, numarray,
> NumPy), and they all do similar-but-slightly-different things.
>

> Did you install the one from:
>
>      http://numpy.scipy.org/
>
> Also, what steps did you do to install those third-party modules?

I downloaded 2.4 version of Numpy and Scipy from http://www.scipy.org/...
and Numpy link leads to the same website
as yours. I downloaded the exe files and click them to run and
install. I found both
numpy and scipy are under C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages

> >    from Numeric import *
> > ImportError: No module named Numeric
> > I got confused...
>
> If you're using NumPy, then the correct package name for it is 'numpy',
> not 'Numeric'.
>
>      from numpy import *

I think the code is suing Numeric (is it called numpy now? if so, how
to make the change?)