[Tutor] numpy and python

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 6 17:05:15 CET 2006

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, linda.s wrote:

> I use Python 2.4 IDLE to open a py code which import numeric.
> I have installed both scipy and numpy into my c:\python24. However, it
> was still reported as:

Hi Linda,

We need more details.  What version of scipy and numpy did you install?
Where did you get them them from?  This detail matters particularly for
numpy, which has several different incarnations (Numeric, numarray,
NumPy), and they all do similar-but-slightly-different things.

Did you install the one from:

     http://numpy.scipy.org/

Also, what steps did you do to install those third-party modules?

>    from Numeric import *
> ImportError: No module named Numeric
> I got confused...

If you're using NumPy, then the correct package name for it is 'numpy',
not 'Numeric'.

     from numpy import *

Good luck!