[Tutor] Bit-level field extraction

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed May 17 20:38:20 CEST 2006

> But at least I got to use punched cards.  I forget what the other
> system
> we had in that room was, but I had to use paper tape on that one.

I've never actually used punch cards. But I have used punch tape.
Where a loop really was a loop! :-)

We used them to transmit source code from our punch tape writer
at high school to the local university mainframe. It ran the programs
overnight and they posted back all the output in an envelope which
we received 2 days later - the edit-run-debug cycle-time encouraged
very rigorous code reviews!! You don't want to wait 3 days to discover
a syntax error in line 1.

Alan G.