[Tutor] Passing Dictionaries to Functions

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Mar 15 16:05:58 CET 2006

Ed Singleton wrote:
> Thanks again.
>
> This does bring up an issue I occaiosionally have with the documentation.
>
> Presumambly myfunc(**mydict) is a fairly trivial thing, but it is very
> hard to find when you don't know what you're looking for.  Not sure
> what the solution is, but the inability to search for things when you
> don't know what they're called is a bit of a stumbling block
> sometimes.

Yes. This syntax is actually hard to find in the docs when you *do* know
what you are looking for. The best coverage I could find is in the
Language Reference which isn't exactly light reading:
http://docs.python.org/ref/calls.html

It's also mentioned in the docs for apply(), which is an older way to do
the same thing:
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/non-essential-built-in-funcs.html

> Maybe a page that very briefly summarises the 'unsearchable' with
> links to fuller descriptions?

Hmm. Sounds a little tricky to put together...

Kent