[Tutor] Question

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 29 23:06:42 CET 2005

> > I am a bit new to the *nix environment, as well as brand new to Python
> > (perhaps I am biting of a bit much, I know).  I was wondering if
> > someone could point me in a direction to get started in this
> > environment.

Hi Erik,

I agree; I'd recommend getting used to operating your new Unix environment
first.  After you feel more comfortable with your environment, then go for
Python.  Trying to learn both at the same time might be counterproductive,
especially in the presense of mistakes.  If things go wrong, you'll want
to know if you're looking at a Unix error or a Python one.

You can find KDE user documentation here:

    http://docs.kde.org/
    http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/userguide/index.html

When you feel comfortable enough with your environment, then you can find
good starting points for learning Python here:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

> > What apps to code in, is there an interactive mode?

Yes, Python has an interactive prompt.  If you do have a console handy,
type 'python' and see if something comes up.

Best of wishes to you!