[Tutor] Question

John Fouhy john at fouhy.net
Tue Nov 29 22:53:40 CET 2005

On 30/11/05, Douglass, Erik <EDouglass at gaylordhotels.com> wrote:
> I am a bit new to the *nix environment, as well as brand new to Python
> (perhaps I am biting of a bit much, I know).  I was wondering if someone
> could point me in a direction to get started in this environment.  What apps
> to code in, is there an interactive mode?   Specifically FreeBSD 6.0 running
> KDE.  If anyone has any pointers I would be much appreciated.

Hi Erik,

Do you know what a shell is? I think KDE calls it "Konsole".  If you
start up a shell and then type "python", you will start up the python
interpreter and be able to interact with it.  This is quite handy!  If
you haven't already done so, check out the tutorial on python.org.  It
talks about this (amongst other things).

As to what app to code in ... that's a can of worms :-) I am a fan of
emacs and vi.  You could also try IDLE, which comes with python.

--
John.