[Tutor] python challenges

Max Noel maxnoel_fr at yahoo.fr
Fri May 6 02:23:49 CEST 2005

On May 6, 2005, at 01:10, D. Hartley wrote:

> Anyone have a gentle hint, or pointer to another 'beginner' tutorial
> to regular expressions?
>
> Thanks! I dont want to get stuck here in the riddles!
>
> ~Denise

     I learned most of what I know about regular expressions while I
was learning Perl a few years ago. Most Perl books and tutorials
include a small part that deals with RE's, but perhaps that's not
gonna help you much.

     However, I find that the documentation for the Python "sre"
module is quite good. You may want to have a look at it -- should be
enough for what you have to do with this riddle.

(Also, note that however simple they may seem, one can never
completely master regular expressions. There are entire books
dedicated to the things, and when properly used, they're the most
powerful text processing tool available for any language. In other
words, try to remember what you'll learn about them: they're very
useful.)

-- Max
maxnoel_fr at yahoo dot fr -- ICQ #85274019
"Look at you hacker... A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting
and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge
a perfect, immortal machine?"