[Tutor] Problem with threading

Max Noel maxnoel_fr at yahoo.fr
Tue May 3 22:23:51 CEST 2005

On May 3, 2005, at 20:52, Danny Yoo wrote:

> ######
>        cron(8) examines cron entries once every minute.
>
>        The time and date fields are:
>
>               field          allowed values
>               -----          --------------
>               minute         0-59
>               hour           0-23
>               day of month   1-31
>               month          0-12 (or names, see below)
>               day of week    0-7 (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)
> ######

     Whoops. You're right, I stand corrected.

> But even if cron had second-resolution, there's other factor that
> might
> come to play: it might take a while to initiate an FTP connection in
> Alberto's situation.
>
> That is, if starting up the FTP connection itself takes up a some
> time,
> then it might make sense to keep the connection up, just so that we
> pay
> the cost of startup just once.

     Good point. Of course, that also involves keeping it alive by
sending NOPs every once in a while when there is no activity.

-- Max
maxnoel_fr at yahoo dot fr -- ICQ #85274019
"Look at you hacker... A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting
and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge
a perfect, immortal machine?"