[Tutor] Problem with threading

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue May 3 21:52:34 CEST 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Max Noel wrote:

> > I believe that cron has a resolution of a minute, so now it doesn't
> > sound that cron is so viable.  But how about writing a program that
> > just continues to run as a "daemon" service in the background?  A
> > simple example is something like:
>
>      Actually, cron has a resolution of one second, so it may still be
> useful.

Hi Max,

Oh!  Ok, I need to update my knowledge on this... *grin* I was reading the
man page off of cron (man 5 crontab) on my Gentoo box:

######
       cron(8) examines cron entries once every minute.

       The time and date fields are:

              field          allowed values
              -----          --------------
              minute         0-59
              hour           0-23
              day of month   1-31
              month          0-12 (or names, see below)
              day of week    0-7 (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)
######

but I see that there are now other programs that provide second
resolution, such as 'runwhen' and 'uschedule':

    http://code.dogmap.org/runwhen/
    http://www.ohse.de/uwe/uschedule.html

I didn't know about those programs!  Thank you.

But even if cron had second-resolution, there's other factor that might
come to play: it might take a while to initiate an FTP connection in
Alberto's situation.

That is, if starting up the FTP connection itself takes up a some time,
then it might make sense to keep the connection up, just so that we pay
the cost of startup just once.

Best of wishes!