[Tutor] I am puzzled - help needed

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Mar 31 21:19:49 CEST 2005

You are just a little confused about imports.

If I
  >>> import time

then the name 'time' is bound to the time module:
  >>> time
<module 'time' (built-in)>

The time() function is an attribute of the time module:
  >>> time.time
<built-in function time>
  >>> time.time()
1112296322.9560001

Alternatively, I can import the time function directly:
  >>> from time import time

Now the name 'time' is bound to the time() function:
  >>> time
<built-in function time>
  >>> time()
1112296332.8610001

and time.time gives an error:
  >>> time.time
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'builtin_function_or_method' object has no attribute 'time'

When you say 'from time import *' that means bring *all* the names from the time module into the
current namespace. It's like saying
from time import accept2dyear
from time import altzone
from time import asctime
from time import time

so then when you try to access time.time you get the AttributeError.

Kent