[Tutor] More and more OT - Python/Java

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Jan 12 13:57:02 CET 2005

There is a Python and XML topic guide at python.org
http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/

Uche Ogbuji writes regularly about Python and XML for xml.com
http://www.xml.com/pub/au/84

Does the xml.dom library have a XPath and XQuery or any SQL-like
> support? I've understood that it's a pretty basic library...

My impression is the built-in stuff is pretty basic. If you want to use SAX and DOM for XML in
Python, the 4Suite add-on is pretty standard.
http://4suite.org/index.xhtml

I've also heard good things about libxml2; it includes XPath support
http://xmlsoft.org/python.html

IMO Fredrik Lundh's ElementTree package is the easiest way to work with XML from Python. It supports
a subset of XPath and he has just released a compiled C version
http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm

Kent