[Tutor] Advanced Calculator Program...

Gregor Lingl glingl at aon.at
Sun Feb 20 00:12:13 CET 2005

. Sm0kin'_Bull schrieb:
> I want to make caculator program which enables me to
> enter 2numbers and mathsmatics sign and calculates it.
> I think this is too difficult for newbie like me...
>
> Please input data
>
> Number1:
> Mathsmetics Sign:
> Number2:
>
> (Number1) (Sign) (Number2) = (Result)
>

> I wrote this but, Error occurs
>
> print "Please input data"
> number1 = int(raw_input("\nNumber1: "))
> sign = (raw_input("\nMathsmetics Sign: "))
> number2 = int(raw_input("\nNumber2: "))
>
> total = number1 sign number2
> print number1, sign, number2, '=', total

hey, bull! that's a bit tricky. You had a nice
idea, but it doesn't work in Python. The point is,
that you must not use names for operators in
arithmetic expressions. Those operators have
to be used literally.

*One* way to solve your problem is, e. g., to
use a branching statement for checking, which
operator is used.

So replace the line

total = number1 sign number2

by something similar to