[Tutor] Small GUI toolkit and executable creators

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 01:24:21 CET 2005

> I'm writing an application that will distributed by download and
want it
> to be as small as possible.  The target platform is Windows.

In that case distribute Python source not executables!
Or write in assembler...

> For the GUI toolkit, I am looking at wxPython and tkinter.  For a
small
> application with only 4 working forms, which can be expected to
produce
> the smaller programs?

Sorry no idea on that one, any responses will be interesting.

> To create executables, I'm looking at using
> py2exe - http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/
> or
> Installer -
http://davidf.sjsoft.com/mirrors/mcmillan-inc/install1.html

Both will make your programs much bigger and, worse still,
if you distribute updates each version with replicate the
Python engine, better to do a two part downloiad IMHO
- the python core then your programs as source(or compiled
modules).

Basically using Python for small downloads is probably not the
best approach! But the really small sizes are much more effort
to create!

Alan G.