[Tutor] guess the number game help

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sat Apr 30 22:58:29 CEST 2005

> > And if they do understand it and know how to modify it then even
if
> > they did copy it they did the assignment and understood the code.
> > Software reuse is not necessarily an evil to be stifled...
>

>      Have a look at the link I posted, Alan. Honestly, at that point
> it's not "software reuse" anymore. It's straight lifting of code
(and
> removing of comments that would identify the original author).
Worse,
> lifting of *bad* code that happened to be the first hit returned by
> Google, which tends to indicate that this particular student,

But that was my point. Lifting bad code and stripping comments
suggests he/she didn't understand it. So the questioning should
reveal that. And without going very deep into the depths I suspect.

But if they did take the time to understand how every line worked
after downloading it then it is indeed a passed assignment - finding
code and reusing it is a plus. BUT stripping the authors name is is a
no-no and should be pointed out - it may even be illegal and
prosecutable.

Alan G.