[Tutor] Pychecker

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 22 20:47:46 CEST 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Danny Yoo wrote:

> > In Perl, you can perl -c somehardtoreadperlprogram.pl that will just
> > check the syntax. The above problem would have been caught in Perl
> > since I always use strict. Is there a command line option in Python to
> > do a Pychecker-like syntax check?
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Unfortunately, no, because there are some really funky things that one
> can do in Python that you can't do easily in Perl.

Yikes.  I should correct myself before I get someone angry at me. You can
do this sort of late-binding stuff in Perl too, and in many other
languages.  (Java's reflection mechanism is another kind of late-binding
mechanism, for example.)

But Python makes it extraordinarly easy --- perhaps too much so.  *grin*