[Tutor] Getting started with COM

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 13 05:55:06 EDT 2004

> I used the COM browser to look for OpenOffice or
> Soffice objects and I found some, but that's all I
> know about them.  I checked the OpenOffice.org website
> and searched for COM and found nothing.
>
> Is this really so difficult?  How do I get started?

The short answer is yes.

COM programming relies on each application documenting
its objects and how to use them but very few have adequate
documentation - including Microsofts own! The best you
can hope for is an object by object description. Usually
you have to use the object browser and lots of trial and error.

COM programming is, in my experience, an exercise in
frustration :-(

Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear that!

Alan G.