[Tutor] Re: Getting started with COM

Christian Junker christian at treesforlife.org
Sun Jun 13 04:20:31 EDT 2004

Doh, you made me curious about whether it is possible to connect via COM to
UNO with Python, and yes it is!
I claim to know that there is no information about how to do that with
Python (especially), but it might be useful that you read documentation
about the Automation Bridge:
http://udk.openoffice.org/common/man/tutorial/office_automation.html

What I did is easily use the lines you write in VB for Python and it
absolutely worked:

The following example will open a new writer document of OOo:
>>> from win32com.client.dynamic import Dispatch
>>> server = Dispatch('com.sun.star.ServiceManager')
>>> odesktop = server.CreateInstance('com.sun.star.frame.Desktop')
>>> odesktop.loadComponentfromURL('private:factory/swriter', '_blank', 0,
[])
list is the equivalent to an array type of UNO.

Now it should be easy for you to figure out how to export something to pdf,
I would just read how you do it with Starbasic (OOo's own scripting
language) and then translate it into Python (as you saw in my example it's
actually a very simple translation of how you would do it with Starbasic,
VB).

Christian

news:20040613022421.44284.qmail at web52210.mail.yahoo.com...