[Tutor] (no subject)

Gregor Lingl glingl at aon.at
Thu Feb 26 18:09:58 EST 2004

Jeff Peery schrieb:

> hi, I have a little problem. I'm just learning python and I downloaded
> the latest windows installer 2.3.3 I ran the executable and installed
> everything correctly.  I'm running widows xp.  the programs are all in
> the start menu, I can see the command line executable and the IDLE
> executable and the help files.  all of these things work except for
> the IDLE executable.  If I choose it, my computer thinks for a bit
> (the hour glass shows up) then nothing happens???? any ideas of how I
> can make it work? thanks!!

Hi Jeff!

This is not a little problem since IDLE is a very useful tool when
learning Python.
Try the following: localize the directory where idle.py is stored.
If you did a standard install it should be

C:\Python23\Lib\idlelib

else there are probably another drive and/or some dirs preceding the
Python23.

Open a cmd - window,  go to the idlelib - dir:

c:>cd \Python23\Lib\idlelib

Then let Python execute idle:

c:\Python23\Lib\idlelib> c:\Python23\python idle.py

What happens? Do you get an error message? Which one?
Let us know.

Gregor