[Tutor] Python 2.4 IDLE Windows 2000

Jacob S. keridee at jayco.net
Sat Dec 18 23:19:21 CET 2004

Gee,
I think I'm going to burst out in tears.
Mike Hansen gave the solution to the very problem I'm having, yet, when I
used the console version and deleted the custom color theme, it stopped
giving me error messages, but it still won't start up without the console.

I'm am still stunted of my python 2.4 experience.
Help, please!!!

Desperate,
Jacob

> Mike Hansen <mhansen at cso.atmel.com> wrote of an idle IDLE:
>
> > That rooted out the problem. A while ago, I changed the colors to kind
> > of match my VIM color theme(ps_color). When I did
> > idlelib.PyShell.main(), IDLE came up with my custom color theme.
> > However, there was a bunch of warnings about my theme. From IDLE, I
> > deleted the theme. Now IDLE will launch normally. I'll set up the color
> >
> > theme later. Maybe older color themes aren't compatible with the newer
> > IDLE? The color theme must have been laying around. I didn't brute
> > force
> > it in or anything like that.
> >

> > >IDLE is a
> > >part of the Standard Library, so it's actually possible to try turning
> > on
> > >individual pieces of it, one after the other.  Maybe that will help us
> > >debug what's going on.
> > >
> > >Start up your console version of Python, and try:

> Just a +1 to Mike's problem (and the solution).  For sake of Googlers
searching on error output (which I've done before), here are the errors I
was getting on my machine when trying to launch IDLE.  Note, when I tried to
open a .py file with IDLE the file would not open at all (and there were no
error messages) - interesting that the whole process failed - is the missing
error handling on the win or python side (no reason for these to have been
fatal errors...)