[Tutor] Curiosity question(s) here ... how many of you folks are using python in your day-to-day work environment and ...

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Tue Jun 3 22:32:01 2003

At 09:18 2003-06-03 -0400, Dirigo wrote:
>for what sort of applications?

Apart from some SQL here and there, I use Python almost
exclusively if I'm given a choice, which I usually am these
days. Below is a sample of things I've done:

An application for creation of system specifications, see
www.systematik.se using wxPython and ZODB.

Web applications, for instance http://www.thinkware.se/whisky/whisky.cgi

Business administration for internal use:
   - accounting
   - transfer to commercial accounting package
   - working time log
   - PDF invoices using ReportLab

Data entry with immediate graphic visualization for epidemiological data.

Generation of DB schemas in SQL. (These day I'd probably use SQLObject.)

Various data conversion, filtering and cleaning.

A program that searched through a database to identify and correct
corrupt data in a big database system for a large state agency.

An application to find problematic link dependencies in a large C++
development project for Siemens. Used AT&T's Graphviz.

ClearCase triggers.

I also use Python as my one and only calculator (don't forget
"from __future__ import division") and for all sorts of short scripts
and interactive processing.

See also: http://www.thinkware.se/cgi-bin/thinki.cgi/MagnusLittleHacks

I'm sure there are lots of things I forgot.

>Also, when should I capitalize "python"?

Always I guess. It's a name, right?

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus@thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se