[Tutor] [slightly ot]python, web servers, and learning cgi

Kirk Bailey idiot1 at netzero.net
Mon Aug 25 18:13:20 EDT 2003

hmmm... ok, for local fun, download and install IDLE.

Care to grab some geeks and install FreeBSD or Linux? Any old box will do. Grab
a entry level pentium and stick un*x in it, and see if the school will let you
do your hosting on a box wired into their network. if so, great, you now can
have your very own sandbox to play in. Now, you can install python and they have
not a thing to say about it.

BUT IF THEY REFUSE:
The Dirty cads, the rotton rat finks, the bums!

Get independant wire to your room, then screw the !#%@^#&$! Hmmm, that takes cash.

There are pyhon friendly hosting firms, but even a slice off the end of the box
costs a little. There are FREE hosts, but not a lot anymore, and not many offer
python- or let you install it. I  have an inquiry out regarding one; if all is
as hoped, I will post a referral to the service on the list for intrested persons.

Alan Colburn wrote:

> I'd like to start learning about how to write
> web-based Python scripts. My campus server, however,
> will not support Python--just Perl and CGI. So, I'm
> assuming my best option is to run a small server from
> my (WindowsXP) desktop. The rest of my web site will
> remain where it is, and I'll simply link to the
> scripts running of my desktop; only the script based
> pages will run off the desktop. I only anticipate
> needing the scripts during select parts of the
> academic year. The rest of the time the desktop-based
> server does not need to be on.
>
> So, here are my questions. First, does this seem
> logical? If it does, can anyone offer a suggestion for
> a free, secure, simple, easy to set up server?
> [Actually, while I'm at it, how does one check to see
> whether their web-based scripts work without actually
> being connected to the web? HTML pages can easily be
> read on a desktop; do cgi-Python pages work the same
> way?]
>
> Thanks, as always, for your help! -- Al C.

end

Cheers!
         Kirk D Bailey

  +                              think                                +
   http://www.howlermonkey.net  +-----+        http://www.tinylist.org
   http://www.listville.net     | BOX |  http://www.sacredelectron.org
   Thou art free"-ERIS          +-----+     'Got a light?'-Promethieus
  +                              think                                +

Fnord.