[Tutor] wiki madness grows one you like a brain fungus [regex refinements, re.sub() can take in a subst. function]

Kirk Bailey idiot1 at netzero.net
Tue Aug 12 19:22:59 EDT 2003

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On Monday 11 August 2003 09:17, Kirk Bailey wrote:
>
>>IN fact, I did indeed just place an order with amazon for 'Textprocessing
>>in Python" as it is language specific, addresses re rather well according
>>to opion and review, and also covers other non re aspects of mangling text
>>in the language of choice.
>>
>>With any luck, it will even contain some silly skits and jokes in the
>>examples, although that's hoping for a bit much. As for dead parrots, all
>>mine are alive, and one is shitting on my sholder right now.
>>

> I would not call it dry reading, but there is not much humor in the book.

So I'll break out the Bushnell's...

> Personally, I bought it and returned it.  However for a programmer new to the
> subject it does cover absolutely all of the possible text processing
> approaches.
Good reference for my librarypile then- the shelves are overflowing already.

> My one, major beef was the author's insistance on functional programming.
> Don't get me wrong I enjoy the style, but I dislike authors who push a
> programming style when the book is not about style.
I can see your point, and certainly not the place for it.

However, did anyone write 'The big dummy's guide to OOP' or 'OOP for the
compleat idiote'?

Dear GAWHD, don't tell me it's MY karma to learn this stuff until I can write
it... please. please. brains are steaming now.

end

Cheers!
         Kirk D Bailey

  +                              think                                +
   http://www.howlermonkey.net  +-----+        http://www.tinylist.org
   http://www.listville.net     | BOX |  http://www.sacredelectron.org
   Thou art free"-ERIS          +-----+     'Got a light?'-Promethieus
  +                              think                                +

Fnord.