[Tutor] wiki madness grows one you like a brain fungus [regex refinements, re.sub() can take in a subst. function]

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at comcast.net
Mon Aug 11 21:05:23 EDT 2003

On Monday 11 August 2003 09:17, Kirk Bailey wrote:
> IN fact, I did indeed just place an order with amazon for 'Textprocessing
> in Python" as it is language specific, addresses re rather well according
> to opion and review, and also covers other non re aspects of mangling text
> in the language of choice.
>
> With any luck, it will even contain some silly skits and jokes in the
> examples, although that's hoping for a bit much. As for dead parrots, all
> mine are alive, and one is shitting on my sholder right now.

I would not call it dry reading, but there is not much humor in the book.

Personally, I bought it and returned it.  However for a programmer new to the
subject it does cover absolutely all of the possible text processing
approaches.

My one, major beef was the author's insistance on functional programming.
Don't get me wrong I enjoy the style, but I dislike authors who push a
programming style when the book is not about style.