[Tutor] re question

Jonathan Hayward http://JonathansCorner.com jonathan.hayward at pobox.com
Fri Aug 8 18:32:44 EDT 2003

I'm trying to use regexps to find the contents of all foo tags. So, if I
gave the procedure I'm working on an HTML document and asked for
"strong" tags, it would return a list of strings enclosed in <strong>
</strong> in the original.

I'm having trouble with the re; at the moment the re seems to return
only the first instance. What am I doing wrong?

    def get_tag_contents_internal(self, tag, file_contents):
        result = []
        # At present only matches first occurrence. Regexp should be
worked on.
        my_re = re.compile(".*?(<" + tag + ".*?>(.*?)</" + tag + \
          ".*?>.*?)+.*?", re.IGNORECASE)
        if my_re.match(file_contents) != None:
            result = my_re.match(file_contents(group(2))
        return result

++ Jonathan Hayward, jonathan.hayward at pobox.com
** To see an award-winning website with stories, essays, artwork,
** games, and a four-dimensional maze, why not visit my home page?
** All of this is waiting for you at http://JonathansCorner.com