[Tutor] strings matching problem

Jimmy verma jim_938 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 8 07:36:11 EDT 2003

Hello !

First of all thanks to everyone on the list for giving consideration to my
problems. With the help of the tutor mailing list i am really learning a lot
about programming in python.

I have a small problem for now also.

I have a few names like a name followed by hash(#) and then a no. which
indicates the repeated  occurance of the name.

Like .abc ,  .abc#1 ,  .abc#2

I want that if i encounter such kind of name then it should be converted to
.abc

I think that this can be done with re.compile and some kind of match with
re.match

But i am not sure what is the best way to do this.

Your suggestion will be welcomed by me.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Jim