[Tutor] Best CVS System for Python Programming on Win 32?

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:50:14 +0200

At 09:16 2002-09-15 +0200, Tom Churm wrote:
>I finally decided to get serious and install some kind of CVS system=
 locally
>on the Windows machines where I write my Python Scripts (Win98 SE &
>Win2000). At first I decided to try WinCVS.

It seems you did too little research. WinCVS is one of serveral
GUI *clients* for CVS, which is a client/server based configuration
management system. AFAIK CVS servers only run on Unix/Linux/BSD.

>Because I wanted to get some kind of CVS system up and running without
>investing hours and hours in trying to tweak WinCVS so that it works for=
 me,
>I just installed MS Visual Source Safe.  Regardless of any disadvantages of
>MS VSS, at least the program's easy to install and intuitive to use.

Stick with VSS.

>3)  Are there disadvantages/limitations to using MS VSS, and what are they?

It only runs on Windows. If you are happy with it, develop
alone or in a small group and don't plan to work outside
Microsofts OS, I think VSS will suit you well. If you plan
on hosting a global, internet based open soure development
project like the ones on www.sf.net, VSS won't do.

>4)  Or is there some CVS program written solely in Python that I should be
>using?

CVS =3D Concurrent Versions System, is a specific product, not
some kind of category of products which you seem to think.

As far as I can see, the programming language used to build
the SCM system is of no consequence unless you plan to
customize it, and I can't imagine why you would need that.
(The large, customizable SCM systems such as ClearCase can
easily be customized with Python anyway.)

There are tons of configuration management systems, free as
well as proprietary. All have strengths and weaknesses of
course. If you don't like VSS have a look here:
http://www.cmtoday.com/yp/configuration_management.html
http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cm-index.html

--=20
Magnus Lyck=E5, Thinkware AB