[Tutor] IP numbers

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:00:55 +0100

On  0, Cameron Stoner <wolf_binary@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The reason I wanted to change my IP number was because I have this problem
> with a cracker trying to get into my system and he knows my IP address and I
> thought if I changed it he wouldn't know where I was anymore, but that's
> just my newbie thinking.

That's reasonable thinking. The problem is that in most cases, the rest of
the Internet (like your ISP's computers) also won't be able to find you
anymore, and you won't be able to receive anything :)

> I have Norton Internet Security which has stopped him so far, but I wanted
> to go a step further and not allow him to find me.  I don't know why this
> person is comming after me.

How do you know it's a cracker and not something innocent? Secondly, if you
know his IP, you should be able to find out who his ISP is and send a
complaint there.

This isn't a Python subject so this discussion shouldn't continue here for
too long.

--
Remco Gerlich