[Tutor] Python in 24 hours more like 24 years

Glen Wheeler wheelege@hotmail.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:12:53 +1100

  Since we seem to be speaking about books alot, I thought I'd throw in my
personal favourite, Python and Tkinter programming by John E. Grayson.  I
found it very good, and like somebody mentioned - great to curl up with in
bed at night.  The book does assume the reader is already somewhat familiar
with python, and assumes basic OOP knowledge.  It does have two short intro
to python chapters, but they are mainly for people who are already
programmers but not in python.  The very next chapter he goes on to build a
fully-fledged application in tkinter.  Another thing I liked about it is the
source code for many of the exercises is available online, at his website.
This source code includes more than what is in the book, but that isn't to
say the book has little source code - it just doesn't have 'from tkinter
import *' at the top of every snippet, and mainloop() at the bottom.  Things
like that.
  Well, my advice is that if anybody has done a little python, and wants to
go with tkinter style programming next, get this book.  It's great, I can't
really say enough about it.  Clean focus too - always concentrating on
practical, useful ideas and concepts - with heaps of examples.

  One disclaimer though, as I said above - not a tutorial, not for
beginners.  That's why I'm mentioning it now, when the discussion seems to
have come to 'what to do when the tutorials get too basic, and I know all
the "rules"??'.