[Tutor] New

selevin selevin@attbi.com
Fri Dec 27 18:09:02 2002

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C2ADD2.F46CE5B0

>> How do I cause the directory containing the file named python.exe to =
be
>> listed in my system environment variable named path.
>
>Before I say anything about this: are you sure you need to touch PATH? =
You
>should not need to touch your environmental PATH unless you're doing
>something slightly unusual.  Can you tell us more why you want to do =
this?

Nope, its perfectly normal because the Windows installer doesn't=20
set the PATH varioable - Mr Peters explained why many moons ago...
Itvdoes set the registry gubbins so that typing python at the=20
Start->Run dialog works, and it sets the association so that=20
clicking a .py file staryts python. But if you just start a=20
DOS box and type Python it won't work....

So as a result you have to set it by hand.

> documentation will ignore the issue.  On Windows 95/98, the file
> AUTOEXEC.BAT defines this environmental variable

And you shopuld only need to add the following line at the end of
C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

PATH=3D%PATH;<your python path>

where <your python path> is your actual python path (in my case its
D:\Python22)

and it will require a reboot to get things to take effect. =20

> On Windows 2k, it's somewhere deep in the Control Panel/System applet
Or right click "My Computer" and select Properties.
Go to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Environment Variables" button
Click New on the top panel and add a line

Variable Name PATH
Variable Value <your python path>

Click OK, OK, OK.

Reboot.

We really neeed a FAQ for this group! :-(

Alan G.

Iam using WinXP

I am reading Baldwins tutorial and in section Writing and using Scripts =
that's what he says:
You will need to cause the directory containing the file named =
python.exe to be listed in your system environment variable named path.=20

Do you know how to set the path?=20

If you already know how to set the path, go ahead and do it.  If you =
don't already know how, you may need to get some help.=20

I'm not going to try to tell you how to do it, because the procedure =
varies from one operating system to the next, and if you don't do it =
correctly, you may cause problems that are difficult to recover from.

Then open a command prompt window and make the directory containing your =
new script file become the current directory.

 If you don't know how to cause a particular directory to become your =
current directory, you will need to get someone who knows how to =
navigate the directory structure to show you.  It isn't rocket science, =
but it will be different for different operating systems, so you will =
need to know how to do it on your operating system.=20

Please help me

I need a very good and detailed explanation.

I am very new to this.=20

Thank you

Steve

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C2ADD2.F46CE5B0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&gt;&gt; How do I cause the directory containing the file named =
python.exe=20
to be<BR>&gt;&gt; listed in my system environment variable named=20
path.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Before I say anything about this: are you sure you =
need to=20
touch PATH? You<BR>&gt;should not need to touch your environmental PATH =
unless=20
you're doing<BR>&gt;something slightly unusual.&nbsp; Can you tell us =
more why=20
you want to do this?<BR><BR>Nope, its perfectly normal because the =
Windows=20
installer doesn't <BR>set the PATH varioable - Mr Peters explained why =
many=20
moons ago...<BR>Itvdoes set the registry gubbins so that typing python =
at the=20
<BR>Start-&gt;Run dialog works, and it sets the association so that =
<BR>clicking=20
a .py file staryts python. But if you just start a <BR>DOS box and type =
Python=20
it won't work....<BR><BR>So as a result you have to set it by =
hand.<BR><BR>&gt;=20
documentation will ignore the issue.&nbsp; On Windows 95/98, the =
file<BR>&gt;=20
AUTOEXEC.BAT defines this environmental variable<BR><BR>And you shopuld =
only=20
need to add the following line at the end=20
of<BR>C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT<BR><BR>PATH=3D%PATH;&lt;your python =
path&gt;<BR><BR>where=20
&lt;your python path&gt; is your actual python path (in my case=20
its<BR>D:\Python22)<BR><BR>and it will require a reboot to get things to =
take=20
effect.&nbsp; <BR><BR><BR>&gt; On Windows 2k, it's somewhere deep in the =
Control=20
Panel/System applet<BR>Or right click "My Computer" and select =
Properties.<BR>Go=20
to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Environment Variables" =
button<BR>Click New=20
on the top panel and add a line<BR><BR>Variable Name PATH<BR>Variable =
Value=20
&lt;your python path&gt;<BR><BR>Click OK, OK, =
OK.<BR><BR>Reboot.<BR><BR>We=20
really neeed a FAQ for this group! :-(<BR><BR><BR>Alan G.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Iam using WinXP</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am reading Baldwins tutorial and in =
section=20
Writing and using Scripts that's what he says:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<P>You will need to cause the directory containing the file named=20
<B>python.exe</B> to be listed in your system environment variable named =

<B>path</B>.=20
<P><B><FONT color=3D#ff0000>Do you know how to set the path?</FONT></B>=20
<P>If you already know how to set the path, go ahead and do it.&nbsp; If =
you=20
don't already know how, you may need to get some help.=20
<P>I'm not going to try to tell you how to do it, because the procedure =
varies=20
from one operating system to the next, and if you don't do it correctly, =
you may=20
cause problems that are difficult to recover from.</P>
<P>Then open a <I>command prompt</I> window and make the directory =
containing=20
your new script file become the current directory.</P>
<P>&nbsp;If you don't know how to cause a particular directory to become =
your=20
<I>current directory</I>, you will need to get someone who knows how to =
navigate=20
the directory structure to show you.&nbsp; It isn't rocket science, but =
it will=20
be different for different operating systems, so you will need to know =
how to do=20
it on your operating system. </P>
<P>Please help me</P>
<P>I need a very good and detailed explanation.</P>
<P>I am very new to this. </P>
<P>Thank you</P>
<P>Steve</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C2ADD2.F46CE5B0--