[Tutor] New

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Fri Dec 27 14:41:01 2002

>> How do I cause the directory containing the file named python.exe to be
>> listed in my system environment variable named path.
>
>Before I say anything about this: are you sure you need to touch PATH? You
>should not need to touch your environmental PATH unless you're doing
>something slightly unusual.  Can you tell us more why you want to do this?

Nope, its perfectly normal because the Windows installer doesn't
set the PATH varioable - Mr Peters explained why many moons ago...
Itvdoes set the registry gubbins so that typing python at the
Start->Run dialog works, and it sets the association so that
clicking a .py file staryts python. But if you just start a
DOS box and type Python it won't work....

So as a result you have to set it by hand.

> documentation will ignore the issue.  On Windows 95/98, the file
> AUTOEXEC.BAT defines this environmental variable

And you shopuld only need to add the following line at the end of
C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

PATH=%PATH;<your python path>

where <your python path> is your actual python path (in my case its
D:\Python22)

and it will require a reboot to get things to take effect.

> On Windows 2k, it's somewhere deep in the Control Panel/System applet
Or right click "My Computer" and select Properties.
Go to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Environment Variables" button
Click New on the top panel and add a line

Variable Name	PATH
Variable Value	<your python path>

Click OK, OK, OK.

Reboot.

We really neeed a FAQ for this group! :-(

Alan G.