[Tutor] A slighty off topic question/rant for the experienced .

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed Dec 18 13:23:01 2002

> >> My suggestions on learning to be a better coder:
>
> >> * learn one of each type of language.  Learn Lisp or Forth
> or ML.  Break your

Absolutely, thats why I used the list of languages in my earlier post.
Its concepts not current flavor languages that matter.

That's why my web tutor uses 3 languages - to ilustrate that
although the synrtax is different the concepts are exactly
the same in any imperative language(like Python).

> It's not likely you'll find books on those things.

Actually there is a vast array of literature on Lisp. There is
a much smaller amount on ML and Forth (although it used to have
a lot of books). Another good FP language with a reasonable
book selection is Haskell.

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site