[Tutor] TKinter and IDLE problem

Dick Moores rdm@rcblue.com
Fri Dec 13 10:36:00 2002

At 15:39 12/13/2002 +0100, you wrote:

 >At 19:15 2002-12-12 -0800, Dick Moores wrote:
 >>In a DOS window, neither
 >>
 >>      python C:\Python22\Tkinter\helloTkinter.py
 >>
 >>nor
 >>
 >>      C:\PATH> python myscript.py
 >>(where I assume "C:\python22\Tkinter> python helloTkinter.py" is what is
 >>meant)

Things started to work when I commented out

 >1)
 >What happens if you just type "python" at the prompt?
 >If that works, it's the script that can't be found.
 >If it doesn't work, python can't be found. See below.
 >(On Windows you exit python with Ctrl-Z.)

Python starts, and it seems much like IDLE.

 >2)
 >Will "c:\python22\python.exe" start python? If not, where
 >is your "python.exe"?

Python starts.

 >3)
 >If 2) worked, type "path" at the prompt. Does the path look
 >like you expected? If not, consult a windows expert.

Things started to work when I commented out that extra path to
defragmenter, etc. Now typing path gets me only
PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PYTHON22
However, when I close a GUI program (by clicking on the "X" in the upper
right corner), the DOS cursor just continues to blink bleakly at me. It
won't move. And the title bar of the DOS window says PYTHON. I can usually
close the window only by closing "oldwinap" in the Windows task list.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Dick Moores
rdm@rcblue.com