[Tutor] PIL Install Question

Joel Ricker joejava@dragoncat.net
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 20:21:04 -0400

From: "dman" <dsh8290@rit.edu>

: | The first thing he tried doing for me was to install jpeg-6b.  I set it
up
: | in my home directory and pointed out where it was at for him plus the
basic
: | instructions which are:
:
: Is he using Debian?  If he is try 'apt-get install python-imaging'
: :-).  I don't know about the jpeg-6b package, but PIL is pre-packaged
: for a number of linux distros.

Not sure.  I can check.  Is Debian a flavor of Linux?

The install I'm playing with is all I found for PIL. At
http://www.pythonware.com/downloads/index.htm#pil is only listed the source
and three windows only installations.  According to the documentation, To
get JPEG support I have to install the IJG Jpeg Library and for PNG and Zip
Support, I have to get and instal the Zlib library.

If there are any pre-built installations or easy installs, please I'm all
ears :)

: | My webmaster's response:
: |
: | ""
: | Hmmm...what exactly are we doing that root wouldn't have permission to
do? :)
: |
: | Here's what I got:
: |
: | [root@host jpeg-6b]# ./configure
: | bash: ./configure: Permission denied
: | ""
:
:     ls -l ./configure
:
: I bet it isn't executable :-).
:
:     chmod ugo+x ./configure
:

So those two lines will fix it?  Cool.

Something I should ask in relation to this is, this isn't going to mess with
the Python install as its set now is it?  I'd like to avoid that since if
something goes wrong, I wouldn't want to be to blame to taking out everyone
else's python service :)

Thanks
Joel