(Fwd) Re: [Tutor] multiplication of polynomials in Python

KIU Shueng Chuan xinch@free.fr
Thu, 3 May 2001 23:12:56 +0200

(I sent this previously with the wrong email addx, apologies if two
copies get sent)

On 3 May 2001, at 2:59, Julieta Rangel wrote:

> I got the integration and differentiation programs to work.  Right now I'm
> working on multiplication of polynomials.  This is what I have so far:

How about doing addition first?

an example:
(ax^2 + bx + c) * ( dx^2 + ex + f)
= ax^2 * (dx^2 + ex + f) + bx * (dx^2 + ex + f) + c * (dx^2 + ex + f)

Take the first polynomial, split into its separate components and
multiply each component into the second polynomial. Then at the
end add them up.

using your representation:
ax^2 * (dx^2 + ex + f) would be the multiplication between
[0,0,a]
and
[f,e,d]
which equals