[Tutor] Web client programming

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:56:41 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, David Metzler wrote:

> I have several Linux hosted PHP 4 and MySql databases hosted at my
> office. The clients accessing these databases are all win98 with
> Explorer 5.50 This works well enough but the web browser based
> application has several limitations. The biggest limitation being the
> user-interface.  I have this vision that I could build a Python
> program that could connect to the MySql based data and have all the
> features a modern GUI program would expect to have and be Gnome, and
> win98 compatible.

The modern trend is away from proprietary UI programs and toward
browser-based programs as it doesn't require a specific set of underlying
system calls. And Gnome and win98 don't work well together.

> I've looked at the telet module for python and it seems as though it
> might work. Just telnet to my server and run the mysql client and send
> data back and forth to a buffer and only show on the screnn what I
> want.

For security reasons, you should never use telnet.

> I know I could just use the mysql module and connect directly to the
> database but will it work well over a wan connection?

Yes. I do it all the time.

--
_Deirdre      *      http://www.sfknit.org      *      http://www.deirdre.net
"We have an open door policy." -- Sheridan