[Tutor] Web client programming

David Metzler dpm@softdesigns.com
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 09:12:48 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C073D3.026D8700

I have several Linux hosted PHP 4 and MySql databases hosted at my =
office. The clients accessing these databases are all win98 with =
Explorer 5.50
This works well enough but the web browser based application has several =
limitations. The biggest limitation being the user-interface.=20
I have this vision that I could build a Python program that could =
connect to the MySql based data and have all the features a modern GUI =
program would expect to have and be Gnome, and win98 compatible.
I've looked at the telnet module for python and it seems as though it =
might work. Just telnet to my server and run the mysql client and send =
data back and forth to a buffer and only show on the screnn what I want.
I have seen exactly one example script in the help.
Is this the best way to do this? Where are their more examples of this =
type of programming?

I know I could just use the mysql module and connect directly to the =
database but will it work well over a wan connection?

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C073D3.026D8700

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have several Linux hosted PHP 4 and =
MySql=20
databases hosted at my office. The clients accessing these databases are =
all=20
win98 with Explorer 5.50</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This works well enough but the web =
browser based=20
application has several limitations. The biggest limitation being the=20
user-interface. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have this vision that I could build a =
Python=20
program that could connect to the MySql based data and have all the =
features a=20
modern GUI program would expect to have and be Gnome, and win98=20
compatible.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've looked at the telnet module for =
python and it=20
seems as though it might work. Just telnet to my server and run the =
mysql client=20
and send data back and forth to a buffer and only show on the screnn =
what I=20
want.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have seen exactly one example script =
in the=20
help.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is this the best way to do this? Where =
are their=20
more examples of this type of programming?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know I could just use the mysql =
module and=20
connect directly to the database but will it work well over a wan=20
connection?</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C073D3.026D8700--