[Tutor] replyto now optional

Kirk Bailey deliberatus@my995internet.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:08:37 -0500

> Blake Winton wrote:
> >
> > > ok, I read the page about reply-to, and I see there are good arguements
> > > for not doing this.
> > > I also know there are people who want to anyway. So, I made it optional
> >
> > That's almost always a good thing.  :)  (I like options.)
> >
> > > In the lists directory, if the file listname.replyto exists, it will set
> > > the header
> > > and if the file is NOT there, it will not.
> > > Good enough?
> >
> > That's kind of an odd way to do it.

 OK, so I'm odd, shoot me.

 *BANG*

 Actually, I did it this way for several reasons:
 1. it was easy to implement without changing all the rest of the
program
    for sake of one feature.
 2. I have used this sort of thing with other applications and itwas
easy
    to work with.
 3. in a future version, I can place CONTENT in the file, and define an
    alternate replyto address, such as the list owner.

> > Why don't you have a configuration file?

 First version of the program, and I am nerw to python, so doiing it
this
 was was simpler. In a future version, I will look into using a config
 file, along with some other remarkably mind numbing features and
 misfeatures.

 > Call it "listname.config", and then you could read it in, and exec
it,
 > and it could set variables in a Pythonic manner.

 Right. And a backup global config file just in case?

 i.e. listname.config could contain:

 > replyto = true
 >
 > to set the replyto to listname@domain, or:
 >
 > replyto = "other-listname@other-domain"
 >
 > if they wanted to reply to a different list...
 > Or anything else they wanted.  Just a thought.

 And a good one.

> > Myself, I prefer XML files for configuration.
> > <listConfig>
> >   <welcomeMessage>
> >     Yo, all!  Welcome to my new list!
> >
> >     Have fun!
> >     Your friendly neighbourhood list-admin.
> >   </welcomeMessage>
> >   <replyTo>other-listname@other-domain</replyTo>
> > </listConfig>
> >
> > But that's just me, and XML processing is definately
> > harder than the other options.  More interesting, in
> > a way, but harder.  More useful, too, but harder.

 Regretfully, I have not studied xml. HTML, ssi, but not xml.

 Gotta do that after I finish rotohammering python through the calcium.
 And groking tar/gz. and snorting rfc822.py. And earning a living. and
 tending a sickly wife, 30 birds(parrots)...

 > In the mean time, I'm looking forward to seeing what
 > your program turns into.  Have you compared it with
 > the earlier versions?  Might be amusing...

 What earlier versions?
 Oh, the gaget as it grew to this? Not really.
 Inspired by several other MLM's, notably majordomo (majorcomplexity)
and
 minorfish. Regretfully
 Until I come up with it's first working complete incarnation, it's
still
 on the workbench.

 Already, I am scraping together ideas and roughing out code for the
 membership web manager. When that is done, I borrow some code from it,
 some from TLposttime, and smash them together into TLemail.py, the
email
 command processer module. Then write a doc, and smash it all together
 into a zip file (and a tarball if I ever learn how to properly use
 tar/gz- any tutorals out there gang?) and stick it on a website -
 www.tinylist.org. Gotta register the name.

 A man's reach should exceed his grasp.