[TriPython] TriPython March 2019 Meeting: Pytest Part 2: Making the most of Fixtures

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Mon Mar 11 16:18:20 EDT 2019

Tim Hopper is going to school us again about PyTest, this time about PyTest Fixtures, which he introduced in his January TriPython talk.

http://tripython.org/Members/cbc/mar-19-mtg/

When: Thursday, March 28, 7pm

Where: Caktus Group, 108 Morris St., Durham

What: Tim Hopper (https://tdhopper.com/) will present part two (part one was in January) of his talk on PyTest(https://pytest.org/). Tim says, "The Pytest testing framework provides a powerful, but sometimes confusing, model for defining test fixtures for reliable, repeatable execution of tests. I will discuss dependency injection-based fixtures, the benefits of the pytest fixture model, fixture nesting and parameterization, and using the built-in fixtures."

Tim Hopper is a senior data scientist at Cylance (https://www.cylance.com) where he works on machine learning approaches to malware detection. Prior to Cylance, he worked in blocking malicious automated web traffic and developing a Python library for nonparametric Latent Dirichlet Allocation (https://tdhopper.com/blog/understanding-probabilistic-topic-models-by-simulation/). He has a masters degree in operations research from North Carolina State University. He lives in Raleigh with his wife and energetic 1 year old.

Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced. Lightning talks are for you to "show and tell" something you've learned about Python recently, no matter how small. We all use Python, therefore, we are always learning something new about Python that we can tell others. Park in the municipal deck on the other side of the Arts Council across W. Morgan St. The after-meeting will be around the corner at Bull McCabe's Irish Pub. Come join us for a fun and informative evening.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute