[TriPython] TriPython July 2017 Meeting: Just What Is A Quality Engineer?

Lisa Stillwell lisa at renci.org
Tue Jun 27 10:53:05 EDT 2017

Sorry fellow TriPythoners - I just came back from vacation and I am obviously still a bit dreamy 😜

On Jun 27, 2017, at 10:48 AM, Lisa Stillwell <lisa at renci.org<mailto:lisa at renci.org>> wrote:

Tony,

Thought you might be interested in attending this:

On Jun 23, 2017, at 12:47 PM, Calloway, Chris <cbc at unc.edu<mailto:cbc at unc.edu>> wrote:

 [1]http://tripython.org/Members/cbc/july-17-mtg

 When: Thursday, July 27, 7pm

 Where: Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI)

                Biltmore Conference Room, 5th Floor

                100 Europa Drive, Suite 590

                Chapel Hill

 What: A great plurality of companies today, who deal with the delivery of
 software or providing software services should have a team responsible for
 checking the quality of their products before they get into their
 customers' hands. This team, far too often, is comprised of a single
 person, usually labeled with the term "QA", and is responsible for making
 sure that all known issues with the product are verified and that some
 level of testing is performed before it can be `shipped' to customers. Not
 everyone really knows what happens during this phase, but it is well-known
 that someone, somehow, installs, configures and `tests' all the facets and
 features of a product before it `goes out the door'. The stereotype is
 that somewhere in the building where you work, there is at least one
 person, "not suitable" to be a developer, who is relegated to pushing
 buttons and clicking elements on web ui elements to make sure that things
 work as advertised. These are the `button pushers'. If you have some of
 this species inhabiting your work environment, good for you. But if you
 really want to deliver quality with your products, then what you need is a
 Quality Engineer, a rare hybrid species that merges software development,
 forensics, DEVOPS and creativity skills into a super being. Og Maciel
 presents. Og is a Senior Manager of Quality Engineering for the Red Hat
 Satellite team. He has spent the last 5+ years building a team of black
 belt quality engineers responsible for the automation of complex systems
 and delivering quality products through the use of continuous delivery of
 processes. He is also a podcaster, a dad, and an avid reader.
 Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome
 and don't need to be pre-announced. Lightning talks are for you to "show
 and tell" something you've learned about Python recently, no matter how
 small. We all use Python, therefore, we are always learning something new
 about Python that we can tell others. Plenty of free parking is available
 in the RENCI parking deck. The meeting will be followed by our usual
 after-meeting at a nearby tavern for food and beverage. Come join us for a
 fun and informative evening.

 Applications Analyst

 University of North Carolina

 Renaissance Computing Institute