[TriPython] Wake tech computer programming

Josh Johnson lionface.lemonface at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:04:35 EST 2016

This is a good question - I know there are lots of folks who work in
academia on this list, and people who teach python. This is also a good
question to pose to your instructor :) (let us know what they say).

With regards to, "how computers really work and understanding the logic
underneath", I found Code[1], by Charles Petzold to be extremely
enlightening. It felt comprehensive enough to fill in gaps I had in my
prior understanding, but also gave me enough pointers to specific works and
concepts to dig way deeper.

Having just read Code last year, I will warn you that it's a bit old.
However, the antiquated parts are merely references to modern (at the time)
technology. Personally, I found that quite nostalgic, and it didn't detract
at all from the core information.

I found the book very accessible. The author helps you construct analogs of
the earliest computers, essentially as a mental model (although most could
could be physically constructed if you wanted to do so and had lots of wire
laying around). Along the way you learn about some of the math and theory
behind it all, without getting too much in the weeds. It goes kind of fast
toward the end - if I had one major criticism, it would be that I wish the
author had delved in deeper when he talks about compiler design, algorithms
and such, but I know that there are plenty of books about that, the least
(ha, really the most?!) of which being Knuth's Art of Computer
Programming[2] (which I've vowed to work through "one of these days").

Cheers,
JJ

p.s.
I've been a professional programmer for 15+ years (tinkered for 5 or so
before that), didn't do the college thing. I'm very interested in how
people learn how to program.

[1] http://www.charlespetzold.com/code/
[2] http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/taocp.html