[TriPython] setlocale warning on Popen

Joseph S. Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 23:02:58 CEST 2015

I'm shelling out in a daemon process (subprocess.Popen(cmd, stdout=PIPE,
stderr=PIPE)) to run tar, but we're getting this every time:
"/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)"

Host OS is Ubuntu Precise. I have "encoding = 'utf-8'" in the site.py. But
I don't know what's causing it to want to call setlocale! I don't have any
os.environ variables that manipulate the locale settings, and I'm not
adding any via popen. Worst of all, we don't see this in any of our
non-production environments. It is just a warning, but it's annoying and I
want to figure it out. Any ideas?

Joseph