[TriZPUG] Compiling Old Python on x86_64

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Thu Jun 27 02:34:27 CEST 2013

Email me offline if you think you know a workaround. I'll share and
attribute if anything works. You will actually be doing TriPython a
service if you have an answer for this. This is helping a key piece of
TriPython infrastructure migrate.

I'm trying to compile Python 2.3 in 32 bits on a 64 bit system. "Why,"
you may ask. I need this in order to unpickle some objects on a new system.

I've tried a lot of things:

CFLAGS=-m32 isn't recognized by configure as a valid option.

CFLAGS="-march=i686" isn't recognized by configure as a valid option.

CFLAGS="-mtune=i686" compiles almost fine but ends up making a 64 bit
Python. I say almost fine because test_zipimport fails because it
apparently needs sys.maxint to be the correct size for 32 bits on Python
2.3. But the bad part is simply this still makes a 64 bit Python, which
will not correctly unpickle my objects from another 32 bit system.

I have glibc-devel.i686 installed.

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530