[TriZPUG] PyCarolinas Registration Ends TODAY

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 17:15:03 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu> wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 7:08 PM, Calvin Spealman wrote:
>>
>> No, but we have to put final numbers in for the t-shirts, and the
>> orders for breakfast and coffee. We can't keep registration open
>> longer and properly plan. Two people asked about the deadline after it
>> had closed today, and i let them in.
>>
>> I considered leaving a no t-shirt, free registration open, but this
>> would mean more people eating the breakfast spread than are able to
>> plan for...
>

> Thanks. That is very sound reasoning. I asked because I wondered about a no
> t-shirt late registration myself. I purposely did not early advertize
> PyCarolinas to the UNC community because I did not want them overwhelming
> the registration numbers. For instance, when we have UNC BarCamp, it sells
> out (150 slots) in about two seconds. I've never gotten to go. And one of
> the purposes for local Python conferences like PyCarolinas is to take the
> load off PyCon, which sold out a month early and a bunch of people like me
> didn't get to go this year.
>
> Unfortunately, I was traveling out of the country in the days before
> PyCarolinas registration closed, so I didn't get the last minute word out to
> the UNC community. I don't think it's a bad thing that PyCarolinas didn't
> sell out, though. This is a first time thing for us and we need to learn
> from it. PyCarolinas on training wheels. Soft landings where we can. Having
> a capacity crowd would just make things kind tougher. Having a smaller crowd
> might make for a more intimate conference where people actually confer with
> each other.
>
> Thanks for all you are doing and I'm really looking forward to this weekend
> at PyCarolinas.

I have decided to be very happy with the number we have, and not care
about any number we don't have. We had zero attendees at every single
PyCarolinas in the past, because they didn't exist. We have increased
attendance by a factor of infinity this year! That is amazing work.

And thank you, I am really looking forward to everything, as well.

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy