[TriZPUG] PyCarolinas Registration Ends TODAY

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue Oct 16 16:11:23 CEST 2012

On 10/15/2012 7:08 PM, Calvin Spealman wrote:
> No, but we have to put final numbers in for the t-shirts, and the
> orders for breakfast and coffee. We can't keep registration open
> longer and properly plan. Two people asked about the deadline after it
> had closed today, and i let them in.
>
> I considered leaving a no t-shirt, free registration open, but this
> would mean more people eating the breakfast spread than are able to
> plan for...

Thanks. That is very sound reasoning. I asked because I wondered about a
no t-shirt late registration myself. I purposely did not early advertize
PyCarolinas to the UNC community because I did not want them
overwhelming the registration numbers. For instance, when we have UNC
BarCamp, it sells out (150 slots) in about two seconds. I've never
gotten to go. And one of the purposes for local Python conferences like
PyCarolinas is to take the load off PyCon, which sold out a month early
and a bunch of people like me didn't get to go this year.

Unfortunately, I was traveling out of the country in the days before
PyCarolinas registration closed, so I didn't get the last minute word
out to the UNC community. I don't think it's a bad thing that
PyCarolinas didn't sell out, though. This is a first time thing for us
and we need to learn from it. PyCarolinas on training wheels. Soft
landings where we can. Having a capacity crowd would just make things
kind tougher. Having a smaller crowd might make for a more intimate
conference where people actually confer with each other.

Thanks for all you are doing and I'm really looking forward to this
weekend at PyCarolinas.

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530