[TriZPUG] informal Triangle Django Users Group starting

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 20:15:16 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Bradley A. Crittenden
<brad.crittenden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kurt and Gary have more eloquently expressed what I tried to say at our last
> meeting.  I'd *love* to hear Django talks at the TriZPUG meetings.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we not have Django talks at
the TriZPUG. The suggestion as I understand it is that the Django
specific group would be for those interested very specifically in
Django, and then only in informal get-togethers and perhaps the
occasional development sprint. I believe that the formal meetings with
talks would (should) remain at TriZPUG. The TriDjUG idea is really
just a social and networking group with possibly some technical
support amongst ourselves thrown in for good measure. I wouldn't
expect any Django users to ditch the TriZPUG for the new group as
they're vastly different in scope. I'm sure that even the
announcements for meetups for drinks and sprints would be cross-posted
to the TriZPUG just in case anyone might be interested in them, but
not necessarily in joining the separate mailing list.

One of the main precipitating factors in the formation of this group
is the number of other Django User Groups popping up around the
country (and world). We thought that perhaps some people interested in
Django may seek out such a group in this area, but might not want or
think to search for the TriZPUG. If anything, I'd think people would
come to the TriZPUG from TriDjUG, and not leave one for the other. We
also want to use it to demonstrate the strength of the Triangle Django
community to companies interested in using Django for their projects.

If the leadership of TriZPUG would like to begin having sub groups
(lists), I think the TriDjUG would be a good candidate for such a
group. But one thing that should be very clear is that we in no way
want to split from this group, only to further enhance the Python
community in the Triangle.

Paul